Thursday 22 January 2009

Trying to make my daughter healthy and happy

I've recently been asked about my daughter's diet by a new friend. She's had similar problems recently, dealing with her daughter's bahaviour, just like I have. So I thought I'd put together a bit of a list of how I try to prevent her asthma and eczema getting worse, and her behaviour getting difficult. I think that by some friends, I am viewed as a bit strict and over the top when it comes to diet etc, but in a very laid-back, patient and relaxed way when it comes to dealing with my daughter.

So here's my list, crazy or not, there are reasons behind everything in it:


Foods:

I exclude all E numbers other than if they are something like ascorbic acid E300 (vit C).

I exclude as much processed food as possible.

I give as much whole/pure foods as possible.

I wash all fruits and veg in hot soapy water, and rinse well, to remove preservatives.

I exclude anything containing msg or other flavour enhancers, choosing foods with natural flavours from herbs and spices instead.

I use lots of herbs and spices in cooking, especially turmeric and garlic.

I exclude foods containing artificial/chemical preservatives (such as sulphites), choosing foods with natural preservatives instead.

I exclude all artificial colours.

I exclude all artificial sweeteners, choosing sugar and glucose as a preference, but limit the types of food containing added sugar.

I give only one or two small chocolaty or biscuit-type snack a day, and lots of fruit.

I put a fruit bowl of washed fruits within reach of her, and she can take whatever she wants if it's not close to a meal time.

I try to exclude things with egg in, and shellfish, as they make her eczema worse.

I only give a few strawberries at a time, as large amounts have brought on wheezing.


Environment:

I don’t use artificial room fresheners/scents.

I don’t buy aerosols.

I try to keep dust to a minimum.

I keep our cat out of the living and sleeping areas.

I keep her away from smoky places.

If on a roadside, I will pick her up, so she's not at the level of the exhaust pipes.


Medicines:

I only use paracetamol as a last resort for her if she has a temperature that can’t be controlled by flannels and homeopathy.

I only use steroid cream if her eczema is red and itchy.

I use the preventative steroid inhaler for her twice daily, but will try to get her off it in the spring/summer.

I use the reliever inhaler for her if she has a repetitive cough.


Others:

I buy homeopathic and herbal toothpaste

I buy ayurvedic soap

She uses a salt pipe daily while having stories.

I'm trying to persuade her to breathe through her nose as often as she can.


So there it is. I may be an over the top mum, but I'm trying to do my best to get her better, and allow her a future free of inhalers and creams, and more health problems because of them.

No comments: