Monday 29 September 2008

Good news!

I want to share some good news with you all - our chickens have finally started laying! Maybe not exciting for those who prefer the ease of buying food at a supermarket, but very very exciting for people like me, who like growing their own food, and feeding the chickens well to make the eggs tasty! Seems that just one, 'Cheeky' has started laying, a 50g beauty on Saturday, and a 57g beauty this morning. The first one was still warm when my daughter lifted it gently out of the nest box. :-) Such a nice feeling after having them, feeding them well, and seeing them grow over the last couple of months. We shared the first for our lunch, and it was delicious....so different from the usual free-range shop eggs. It was creamy and rich orange colour....yummy :-)

Been having a difficult weekend, as my daughter is really really trying to outsmart me, and control me. She is displaying behaviour I'd only expect from a very difficult teenager. I keep calm, try not to let it bother me, and try to reason with her. It does get too much at times though, and I have to just take a breather in the garden, and listen to the birds in the woods. Hoping it's just changes in her life, starting school, that have upset her usually very nice personality, and that she'll soon settle down. It better not continue until she's an adult anyway, or I may have to call 'Supernanny' or something!!

While out putting the chickens to bed tonight (locking their coop door), I put cloches over our little lettuces and flowering dwarf french beans. The weather for the next few days looks really rotten. I hope it doesn't manage to drown all the veg that we've got left. Atleast we'll still have some chillis, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers left in the greenhouse, if all else gets too much rain. Have loads of my lovely Stephanotis (Madagascan Jasmine/wedding flower) vines growing well in the greenhouse too, which I grew from seed of my fruit that grew on my original vine. Hoping that next year they'll be flowering well, producing fruit of their own, and maybe I'll be able to sell a few.

Have been slowly try to decorate our house since yesterday, for Eid, which we expect to occur tomorrow. I say 'expect', as it all depends on when my husband's family calls from Indonesia to say it's started. He only celebrates it at the same time as they do, which sometimes may differ to when most people here celebrate it. I've put up shiny silver foil stars and moons around the living room, and my daughter's been helping colour in and make lots of Eid flags to put around the house. Tomorrow will be nice, shopping for nice foods, flowers and gifts, and spending the afternoon decorating, cooking and eating and having fun together hopefully. After lots of things, I've not really felt like celebrating much, but I need it to be special and magical for my daughter, as she misses out on Christmas. As she's getting older, I want her to look forward to a really nice celebration each year, as I used to with Christmas. I do hope as she grows older, and my husband becomes more adapted here, that she'll be able to celebrate the two special days. Time will tell.

2 comments:

The Three Little Bears said...

I cannot wait to have chickens of my own! We don't move into our new home until November, so we are going to wait until Spring to buy some. We have to get a dog to keep the coyotes away as well.

*H* said...

I was worried about our chickens' safety when I got ours too. Thankfully, we don't have to worry about coyotes here! I was worried they may attract foxes or badgers from the woods which could attack them, but haven't seen a sign of any yet. Would actually love it if they did start visiting my garden (although wouldn't want them eating the chooks)! :-) Did worry about our cat, and local cats, but our cat appears quite friendly towards them, and I've not seen any others since the chooks arrived.