Sunday 21 September 2008

Homegrown food


Thought I'd show a pic of our first crop of potatoes (Pentland Javelin), harvested a couple of weeks ago. Had 2 more bags since then. They are a bit crumbly if boiled, but have discovered that they're lovely as chips!

Had a good meal from our garden for lunch today. One of our last yellow courgettes, our first large green pepper, an onion, a load of spinach, a tomato and a cucumber.....all made into a stir fry! Was delicious! Homegrown food tastes SO much better than shop bought! I'd love to be completely self-sufficient, not just with food, but with energy and everything too.

Haven't much left from our spring-planted crops. Lots of chillies, peppers and cucumbers still maturing, but I think the tomatoes and courgettes are pretty much finished now. I've a tiny watermelon that looks hopeful, and a golf ball-sized pumpkin.....hopefully ready for a halloween lantern! Winter lettuces are looking good, and the dwarf french beans and peas are doing well too. Still got a couple of potato harvests left to dig up also, along with some spring onions that are looking nearly ready. Hopefully that lot will keep us going until the end of the year or early next, saving some money in the supermarket!

Going to try to dig another vegetable bed before winter too, and stick a load of horse manure on it, to get it ready for some planting in spring.

Our chickens all went inside their coop mid morning today, and stayed in for a couple of hours. We think they may be getting ready to lay. Fingers crossed! Hopefully save some money on eggs too then! I will only buy free-range eggs, but the price is double the price of caged and barn eggs. If I couldn't afford to buy them though, I couldn't resort to buying caged or barn ones though.....our chickens are so happy, I hate to think of buying eggs from chickens who don't get the same quality of life.

Ours have all got individual characters....funny! I think one of them may be partially sighted too, poor girl. She often misses food if it's in front of her, and goes off on her own.....very silly behaviour for a chicken, who should stay in the group for safety. Nice but dim.

Back to the usual theme I write about, well there's not much to say. I've my second cycle since my miscarriage, and don't feel ready to think about trying to conceive again. I'm not sure if I ever will again. I get fleeting thoughts of sadness, missing my baby still, and sadness thinking about what might have been, but until my anaemia is resolved, I can't really try for another baby anyway. So I may as well not think about it.

Have been focusing on trying to find another income or job, but as yet, still nothing. Have been keen on exploring the idea of studying a postgraduate course, but difficult to find what I want. I've been looking into what shortage professions there are here, and what I'd be capable of doing with a couple more years of study. Really keen on speech therapy, which I could do as a two year postgraduate diploma to qualify, but there are no courses within a hundred miles of me. Would have to move if I was to do it, probably to London, which I really can't even contemplate after all the recent stresses. I just feel like I need my life to be a bit calmer for a bit. London would be the last place I'd want to move to in the UK, and any move would be stressful anyway.

Maybe our new business idea will pick up soon, and I'll relax a little more with some kind of income. Here's hoping.

2 comments:

The Three Little Bears said...

Hi, I just found your blog and hope to follow it. It's not often I find someon who's life mimics mine even if just a little bit. I too miscarried and love homegrown food. Thank you for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you're still blogging! It's kinda funny...you said after the miscarriage was "over" you'd probably stop blogging, and then you kept on. I, on the other hand, said I'd keep blogging, and I didn't! kinda funny!!! :0) I would like to keep in touch, but I am not going to be blogging on moderndaymom anymore. SO let's keep in touch by email. mine is theclosefour@yahoo.com. Please write! I don't want to lose touch!