Thursday 7 August 2008

What career am I looking for?!

So here it is, my situation, and ideas about changing it.

I've been teaching English to foreign students (EFL/ESOL) for the past few years, and think I want a change. I had been teaching in a college for 2 years, on a renewable contract, term by term, but have just quit. I did enjoy the classes, my colleagues, the position, and great wage, BUT, the hour or more drive to work was getting me down, and I was low during my miscarriage, that I said enough is enough, and quit at the end of term. I do regret making that decision when I did, but I know that the hours I'd been allocated in September weren't good, and most importantly, my priorities changed, and it just wasn't right for me.

So here I am, two months after finishing, feeling like I'm slowly getting back to feeling normal, and feeling I need an income. I feel I need to earn a minimum of £100 a week to cover food and bills, but there are some conditions to a job I'd accept. Ideally, I'd like to be doing something which isn't stressful, but can be challenging, is mornings only, and no further than 20 minutes drive away. I would LOVE to try working at home, for myself, but not sure what to do. My interests are art, culture, plants, nature, animals, music, and my degree was in Plant Sciences. I've had no post-degree experience in that field, but am open to getting some, but there's not much around. I definitely don't want to be stuck in a lab working with test tubes all day, it's not me.

Me and my husband are trying to sort out a small business working from home, but until it gets off the ground, I need a back-up plan for at least the next 6 months. I've been looking for jobs in the usual places, but there doesn't seem to be anything that comes close to what I want. I've thought about doing something like selling from magazine drops, like kleeneze type job, but selling stuff I'm more passionate about, like organic stuff. I'm just not sure that's me either though.

I know I'm lacking confidence at the moment, and need to get back out into the world of work to regain some, but to be honest, I want to be at home, caring for our daughter, growing our veg, looking after the chickens, keeping home nice. Just can't really do that on my husbands small income alone. Have been trying to come up with some kind of course I can study that will let me get a job that will be just mornings, but I just don't know where to start. If I study something, it'll take time too, and I'll still need an income while I'm studying!

So what should I try??? Any advice??

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I am thinking about doing some substitute teaching and some waitressing now that I decided that going back to school is too much right now. What about watching another child or two in your home? I have thought about that, too.